Debugging DesignTime Data

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I recently did some restructuring of my application, which included among other things separating the views and the viewmodels into separate projects.

All went well now my designer can work in his own sandbox and I in mine.  The problem is in blend we can no longer see the design time data.  I setup the new View project with file references to locate the necessary assemblies, made sure everything was in the right place but still no luck.  When I was first getting started I was able to at least check that the view model was getting called by putting a messagebox in the constructor, but even that is not working. 

So I have two questions,

1 - Are there any tricks to having the views and view models in separate projects.

2 - How do you go about debugging this scenario.  Attaching to blend shows the assemblies got loaded, can I set any break points?  I'd even take message boxes in the right spot...

thanks dave

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2010 at 10:16 PM
there should be no issue in having the Views and the ViewModels in seperate projects. 

seems like MEF is not locating the ViewModels any more... can you send me a repo project? some sample code or something

Attaching to blend is your best option for debugging....

Regards
Marlon
WPF Blog - http://marlongrech.wordpress.com/
Microsoft MVP for Client App

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM, dhorth <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I recently did some restructuring of my application, which included among other things separating the views and the viewmodels into separate projects.

All went well now my designer can work in his own sandbox and I in mine.  The problem is in blend we can no longer see the design time data.  I setup the new View project with file references to locate the necessary assemblies, made sure everything was in the right place but still no luck.  When I was first getting started I was able to at least check that the view model was getting called by putting a messagebox in the constructor, but even that is not working. 

So I have two questions,

1 - Are there any tricks to having the views and view models in separate projects.

2 - How do you go about debugging this scenario.  Attaching to blend shows the assemblies got loaded, can I set any break points?  I'd even take message boxes in the right spot...

thanks dave

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MEFedMVVM@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email MEFedMVVM@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Found it, I had two view models using the same ExportViewModel name.

thanks